I’ve been thinking about something I know many people ponder, questions and wonder about. Am I living an authentic life?
This is something that I struggled with for years and only within the past few weeks can I honestly answer yes.
Like many for years I viewed it as a destination. “Well I get there.” Thought “maybe, someday”. But we all know “Someday Never Comes”……
It was only when I realized how true that was that I knew I needed to make this a turning point day and get it in gear. Coincidentally ( and I know there is no such thing as coincidence, lol ), I came across some old dog eared notes about 15 steps to living a truly authentic life. Now I have no idea where I originally came across these, as I’ve carried them around for so long, they are written on a steno pad!
I then decided to undertake a 15 – day study and contemplation. One day for each of the suggested steps on this path and then one more for review and analysis.
Yes she said 15- days. Fifteen steps of accountability and questioning. Yes it does involve taking some time to consider, so in fact today I’ll share the first 8-steps and then tomorrow we’ll look at the second half.
I’m sharing these inspirations and then some of my responses to hopefully help you towards “Becoming” your authentic and amazing life.
1. Let your inner light be your guide. Connect with the Spirit through quiet reflection, meditation or prayer. Seek the wisdom of your heart-center when you are faced with important choices and decisions.
This is a regular seven day a week practice for me, that after some initial struggles, has really become an automatic behavior. Everyday at 8 am, I meditate on a focused intention for that day. At midday I “touch base” check in, journaling my feelings and observations. Then do a full review of progress, needs and emotions as I wind down my day.
2. Be your highest self. Remember who you are intended to be. Recall what it was like before life got in the way. Disconnect from your ego, separate from your busy mind and connect with the authentic inspiration that dwells deep inside.
Tough one. Overcoming our education. Putting aside society’s limitations. Allowing myself to understand it is not selfish to take care of me before others. Learning that I can not nurture if I am not nurtured. Self care helps to reveal the Higher Self.
3. Let go of habits, routines and people that no longer serve you. Release guilt and anxiety. Surround yourself with those who love you, believe in you, and only want the best for you.
One that took a long, long time. I was well into adulthood, before I realized how much guilt, shame and self doubt I carried with me. From a mother that told me I was an accident and constantly spoke of how I was an embarrassment to her, to the grade school teachers who instilled I would never be “Becoming” anything, because I grew up “around here”. Even though I had decades of professional success, and strong interpersonal bonds, it still was not enough until I released these needless burdens, that I chose to accept, believe and carry with me. On the day I finally forgave my mother and broke the chains, immediately I felt lighter.
4. Speak your truth. Find your voice. Use your words. Express yourself. Do not limit yourself. The truth will set you free.
Amen! Believe me, when I tell you I can ( and do) boldly proclaim. I have found and rediscovered; fine tuning my voice several times in my life and that expression continues to grow.Sterling Silver Multi Pressed Flower Teardrop Earrings
5. Open your mind. You are your own worst critic. Tell yourself to shut up! Let go of judgement and practice self compassion. Expand your view and your thinking-will follow.
Oh so true. Both what I needed to stop doing and the freedom that follows from adapting this step.
6. Free your heart. THose barriers you have built around it are not protecting you. They only prevent you from receiving inspiration, guidance, direction and deliverance. Open your heart, give love freely and accept the love you truly deserve.
I am worthy. I have said the Words and I am healed. Did not happen overnight though.
7. Learn to trust intuition. Follow your heart, your spirit and the mind will follow. Ego rules the mind and should not be allowed to lead you.
I knew for decades, those hunches were right. Plus when I did listen I was either very successful or well protected, whatever the need of the moment was. At the same time though, society would try to mock “women’s intuition”. Well you know what? “They” only attack what they fear.
8. Unchain your spirit. Go ahead and release it. Allow yourself the freedom to play, sing, .. sing a song – sing out loud, sing it now….. dance, create, breathe, laugh and cry.
Creative expression can be the catalyst for so much healing. Creativity trumps repression. Creation triumphs over prisons of the mind and soul. Express yourself, you’ll feel so much better.
Those are the first eight steps or as I did the first 8-days of the process.
Each day consider the concept, ask yourself the questions. Jot them down, come back and study them, revise and make sure you are being honest with yourself then come back tomorrow and we’ll discuss the next 8-steps to living a truly authentic life here on “Becoming Today”.