On this edition of Becoming Today, what I’m asking is for you to accept yourself.
Sounds simple, right?
Well just maybe it’s one of those things that sounds easier than they really are.
Nevertheless, accepting ourselves is an integral part of “Becoming”.
Accepting our strengths rather than empowering our perceived weaknesses, accepting our unlimited potential rather than self imposing limitations.
Our reality is one of always “Becoming”…. Restating our shared definition from Day One of this project: ‘’the process of coming to be something or of passing into a state”. Coming to be always, “Becoming”. Growing, developing and shifting into an attitude and daily practice of always, “Becoming”.
That is quite simply the essence behind, “Becoming Today”. Now getting there requires planning, action and growth plus accepting ourselves.
Each day I ask myself, how do I, as an individual and we as a society, focus on “Becoming” what we are truly destined to be? How do we become all we can be? How do we further enrich our lives and those of our families, friends, communities and society as a whole? What exactly is it we want to become today? Each and every day, becoming the best at whatever we desire, hope for, have set goals for, prayed for and how do we achieve this state?
In recent days we’ve discussed taking steps including making the decision to do it, and talked about getting past any resistance we feel and stop delaying ( or procrastinating ) about it. Now we’ve come to another step, accepting ourselves.
What exactly does that mean? To start with you need to accept the reality of your life.
Not your own version of reality, rather a hardcore assessment of where you are and where you want to be. You may need to overcome many things including regret, denial. Or past failures and disappointments.
Yes we should practice positive self -talk but a true failure to connect with reality can not only be disheartening, but also sets us up for failure. In some cases it can also be quite dangerous, putting us at risk of hurting others as well as ourselves.
Here are the 8 steps of acceptance that I’ve learned along my path towards “Becoming”:
- Accept Yourself. Embrace the ability to unconditionally love all aspects of who you are. Both the positive and negative.Do not become overly critical. It all starts with the proper attitude.
- Accept that Accepting Reality is not the easiest thing to do. However acceptance of your current scenario will ultimately make you happier in the present , which then leads to a better future. Accepting your reality will help you choose your steps properly and keep the momentum moving forward and upward.
- Accept Truthful and Complete Honesty. When you get past your ego, then you can allow for the creation of a beautiful new you. Denial will not make the negative go away.
- Accept Personal Responsibility. In order to fully accept your reality, you must take ownership of any role you may have played, good or bad, in leading you to where you are. When you do, then you can work on decisions for the next steps.
- Accept Your Mistakes. You can’t fix anything until you acknowledge you have a problem. Look at your mistakes not as failures but as learning opportunities. Rely on the power within for the strength to co-create your reality.
- Accept Ownership. Own all of it. Not just the challenges but also your strengths and success. Taking ownership of all your outcomes can teach you to do better, and that overcoming leads to a learning moment.
- Accept Power Over Your Fears. Do not let fear rule. Fears of what others think of you, fear of making a decision, fear of not being popular, is all demoralizing. It adds nothing to your experience. Realize that “they” will criticize, judge you, or ridicule you no matter what, so who cares?
- Accept Goal Setting and Planning. Clearly state your intention, desires and establish standards and practices. Ensure you have small steps in the plan to allow for immediate and quick accountability. Stick to it. “Becoming” can truly begin to happen once you have a plan with specific goals.
Submitted for your consideration these are not the final steps along your path. You can not create a state of “Becoming”, if you aren’t willing to let the former or current realities go. Letting Go is where we’ll focus on tomorrow’s “Becoming Today.”
Please comment below. I really am interested in hearing your questions, suggestions or concerns. You can also subscribe to be notified when new posts are available.
If you want to remain a little less public with your queries, then well honestly part of me wants to say, ‘get over it!” However I do truthfully welcome you to contact me privately. Just click over to my Contact page. There you will find a form to easily submit private communications.